Canoe Income Fund (EIT.UN.TO) is a Canadian closed-end investment trust that looks like the perfect income product for retirees. Yet, the fund is so complex that we needed a full episode to demystify it. Here’s all you must know about this 9% yielder!
Here’s the complete Canoe Income Fund analysis
- Canoe is one of the largest closed-end investment funds in Canada. It has a fixed number of shares and has been created to take your money, manage it, and distribute juicy monthly dividends to help you manage your retirement budget.
- Monthly dividends seem interesting, but what does its sector allocation look like? Is it diversified enough to keep your distributions safe?
- Which companies are among its top 10 holdings? Mike would certainly select Royal Bank (RY.TO) and Canadian Natural Resources (CNQ.TO) just to name two. Surprisingly, the Canadian fund also includes US stocks. Does that make sense?
- Some companies raised Mike’s eyebrows: energy stocks, gold companies and one of the worst telcos… really?
- The fund also includes some companies that don’t pay dividends. What is their role in it then?
- Despite some doubts, Canoe’s performance is great! It has beaten its benchmark (the TSX) every year since its inception! But is the benchmark right? Mike explains why Canoe is not completely transparent and what the performance should really look like.
- While Canoe’s yield is very generous, is its dividend growing? What kind of concerns does the dividend growth bring?
- In the end, retirees should buy EIT.UN.TO or not? Are there any better choices?
Download the Dividend Rock Star List!
This safe list includes a positive dividend triangle, PRO rating and Dividend Safety scores, payout and PE ratios, dividend yield, the chowder rule, and more!
Here is the table Mike used to describe Canoe Income Fund holdings.
The Dividend Triangle is a concept that Mike invented to describe the foundation of his investment strategy. It consists of three metrics: revenue growth, earnings growth and dividend growth. Here is a complete episode on it!
[Podcast] DGB 02: What The Hell is The Dividend Triangle?
The trick to never doubt your decisions again is to follow straightforward decision-making processes. We have developed one stock checklist that will do that when looking at any company.
The Best Dividends to Your Inbox!
Download our Top Stocks for 2022 booklet now and do not miss out on the good stuff! Receive our Portfolio Workbook and weekly emails including our latest podcast episode!
Follow Mike, The Dividend Guy, on:
If you have ideas for guests, topics for The Dividend Guy Blog podcast, or simply to say hello, then shoot me an email.
This podcast episode has been provided by Dividend Stocks Rock.
The post What You Need to Know About Canoe [Podcast] appeared first on The Dividend Guy Blog.